Monday, June 29, 2009

Created to be ... a handywoman?


Do you clench at the idea of power tools, nails ,screws and hard labor as being part of your lady duties?
Are you unacquainted with the tools in your garage? Do you think a stud finder is some lucky lady that has an eye for good looking guys? if your response is yes to all the above, we are in trouble my friend!
Growing up without a dad or brothers in the house, my sisters and I learned early in life that if you couldn't fix it nobody would. To make matters worse I didn't have the luxury of having "tools" per say,we were poor back in Colombia and couldn't afford even the basics of instruments: rocks or pieces of wood did the job for a hammer, anything with a point like knives served as screwdrivers both flat and Phillips.We never owned a power drill but yet in the middle of this cave-like environment I learned to take machines apart to see how they worked, I became a fan of owner's manuals( they are essential reading to me) and I got used to tackle jobs that normally girls wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.
Personally I think guys like a woman who can fend for herself in some areas and is not afraid of getting dirty. As a matter of fact after I met my husband, he found me one day mixing concrete up on top of my roof in the process of installing a TV antenna. He jokes telling me that was one of the signs that I was THE ONE for him.


I'm all for feminine stuff, to be lady -like and know your way around the kitchen. Covering all the basics from cleaning to cooking, ironing to mending socks, knitting, scrapbooking, teaching, tending to children, I believe women are capable of amazing things! When it comes to home improvement though, I'm afraid many are in the dark.

After all why bother? I have my man to do that kind of job! But wait a minute: What if hubby is away at work and your house is flooding and you don't know where the main shut off valve is? or how about if there's a power outage and you don't know how to reset your utility box? or switch a power breaker back on? Will you spend the rest of the day without electricity until hubby comes home? How about those times when your honey -do list is soooo long ,your husband doesn't have time to hang that picture or repair that leaky faucet? Will you endure the wait?

I don't think a little knowledge of basic DIY would hurt any woman, if anything it would be of great benefit. I happen to have a husband that is very good at getting to my honey -do list very quickly, but there are times when he's at work and I get to do jobs I believe I can do on my own and this makes him very proud of me. I heard a very wise lady say: Don't complain to your husband about the leaky faucet, go ahead and fix it yourself! She goes a little further as to say that women need to know basic mechanics and how to change oil in a car and replace a tire. It's a matter of survival!

But how? you say. Well, when you go to the home improvement store grab a book of basic DIY. Ask questions, Watch a DIY show on TV, not just the ones about pretty designs but the one where they teach you how to replace a toilet ( my favorite shows are This Old house and Ask This old House). By the way, another way to learn is tackling a job with hubby, watch while he works or figure it out together and the best part: you save money doing it yourselves.

My husband and I have replaced a toilet, faucets, light fixtures, ceiling fans; installed a garage door opener and many more together, I read the manual and we brainstorm the plan together, he does most of the manual work but at the end we both have the satisfaction of a job well done.

I believe God has created us to be help meets for our husbands not just in the things that pertain to the "women's work" of the household but also to be partners in working along side of them to improve and beautify our homes. So , give it a try and get the power tools out! you are in for a treat!

7 comments:

  1. I have come to find out that, like you, I'm one of the few women in this world who actually knows how to use a drill! :)

    Many times have I helped my husband lift and move heavy furniture, pain a room, or put a large piece of furniture together that came in pieces. My husband has also come home to be pleasantly surprised to see a project I have asked him to do numerous times suddenly completed by ME. LOL!

    I agree with you...I think guys appreciate having a woman willing to help him and be his partner in ALL things.

    Great blog, Silena! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to this post!!!! I thank the Lord that I have a handy husband, but growing up I was the one at home that hung the blinds, set up the cables, assembles the (fill in the blank). for God's glory my brother does these things in his home now, but growing up when something needed to be done I would grab the hammer and the nails and do it. Sometimes the picture might hang a little crooked but the point is I did it. So now when I want something done at home I present it to my husband and I let him know that we can do it and if I can do it so can he.

    We renovated our last apartment and sold it, everything from painting cabinets, to installing countertops, we had a minor leak but we now know how to shut off the water :)...to changing light fixtures, installing floors. And I thank the Lord that we can do projects together like that and can learn new things from each other.

    Thanks for the encouragements....I have to remind him to fix the kids room now....with my help of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! This was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to stop by and tell you that I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Thanks for the encouragement. We do need to know more handy work. I am totally clueless - yes I am. Tony does everything as far as the handywork. Again, thanks for the tips.

    You're doing so well my friend. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if hubby isn't there, that is when I call my father in law LOL!! But seriously, you are right, this is something I need to do better at. I'd probably be good at some things, if I just gave it a try. I'm always afraid of failure when it comes to stuff like that. If I can't figure it out, then I'll feel really stupid, so I leave it up to the smart guy around here, or the smart littler guys. It's dumb, I know, but I hate reading directions...I never understand what they are trying to say. I think to understand how to do stuff like that putting something together, I would need to do it with hubby, which is hard when there are 7 little ones that have to be looked after.
    I don't mind getting dirty, I just always fear trying new stuff like that, but I suppose if I could figure out this blogging thing, then I can probably handle that too right? :-) Thanks for the encouragement Silena!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silena, just stopping by to say hi. Hope you're having a wonderful day? Are you all taking a break from school this summer or are you still doing school work? We're taking what I call a semi-break: we're only doing some subjects through the summer.

    Hope you have a great day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Leave me a comment if you wish :)