Monday, June 22, 2009

Why I don't own a pair of Stilletos...






Simple: They don't fit my line of work. Construction workers wear boots that have a metal point so if something heavy drops on their toes, they are not crushed in the process. Doctors and nurses wear clogs for comfort and sanitary reasons. My footwear is a mix between barefooted, flip flops or slippers, with the occasional formal shoe. You just can't run after a toddler on high heels. I have nothing against prettying up for a night on the town with hubby; high heels and stilettos aren't just my cup of tea. Maybe is because of what they represent to me; the world of fashion and glamour that is shoved down our throats daily by media all around. A world that is all about me, myself and I.



Big corporate jobs and fast paced lifestyles. A world that leaves the everyday mom looking like an ancient museum artifact. I recently realized that I am among a breed of endangered species kind of mommies. Those who opted to raise large families for God. The ones that simply don't fit the standard of today's society's 1.5 children families. We are like that piece of the puzzle that shows up when you're done and wonder :where did this come from? A rare but very precious group of individuals who have decided to lay it all down for the cause of Christ, yet are by no means perfect or holier than others.

There's something particular about this individuals though, they're the ones who silently but firmly are shaping the next generation, passing on the life skills their children will need to have successful marriages and families. They 're the ones that are not worried about fitting into beauty contests but yet they are beautiful in all sorts of ways. They make tough choices when it comes to money and how to spend it but they rather have more school books than a big plasma TV. They don't mind not driving the latest sports car but over sized converted vans; they choose to ignore the crude comments and voices of criticism from others that don't understand their decision of obedience, but walk chin facing up knowing their reward is waiting for them at the end of the narrow road.
Let me be clear that if your family size is small by nature or by choice I am not judging you in any way. This decision is elective and personal and I'm in no way imposing it on anyone.
I thank God that He has given my husband a heart that loves children and from the very beginning has been leading us on this journey with the necessary faith to welcome each of our little ones. As a personal testimony I would share that if finances is what is stopping you from following your heart in respect of children, let your heart not be troubled. I believe God provides for every child as it comes in to your family. A not so long time ago we were living in a tiny two bedroom apartment in a basement with three children and one on the way, it was tough but I'm glad we didn't look at this situation and decided to wait until we had the whole American dream complete before we could start having our children. Now we live in a beautiful house and own our business, with six children and open hearts for more in the future.
The other day we went out to dinner with our family to an Italian restaurant and as soon as they heard there was 8 people in our party they started to prepare the"big group" room, they reserve it for big groups only ,there was only one in the entire place and guess what? It was ours, we felt treated like royalty in this home style room all for us. There are benefits to having a large family, one of my favorites is when we travel, they don't let us wait with the rest of the people,they rush us to the front of the line. Family discounts, among other things, but the richest benefit I find it to be the opportunity to share your faith with others that look with unbelief at your family and wonder how can you afford it or handle it for that matter?.
If you are one of my fellow quiver full warrior moms, take heart, The Lord has called you to raise a godly generation, and He will not leave you alone or ashamed. Is it easy? No way!! But as I've discovered over the years when I look at the fruits I have in my children, the reward of your labor is sweet.
Lo, Children are a blessing from the Lord, the fruit of the womb His reward. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. Psalm 127

3 comments:

  1. Enjoying mommyhood in my flats:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mother of four boys, I totally get this post. How funny would it be to make a video of us trying to spend a day in stilletos! I found you on the LPM blog. Come visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord!!!! God is so good, just when I was like Lord you want me to have more children, I have 3 children my youngest is 4 months old. We live in NYC, so space is of the essence. So my prayer went as follows yesterday morning....Lord I have given you all areas of my life but for some reason have decided to keep my womb and the # of children to myself. I now hand those areas over to you knowing that you know what I need before I need it and will provide both the money and the health for all of us in the process.

    I thank the Lord that he led me to your blog and I was able to read such a wonderful post.

    May the Lord bless you and your family, and may you always wholeheartedly trust in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Leave me a comment if you wish :)